Login/Register

Immovable object: Byzantine Maronia

Bookmark and Share
Identifier: GR6
Period: Byzantine rule (1018 to 1185/6)
Degree of socialization: Outdoor enclosed place. Access is relatively easy by car from Komotini to Maroneia / Sv.Haralampi, the road to the main archaeological site (ancient Christian basilica, parts of the settlement) and on to the asphalt road to parts of the fortification wall.
Description: Maronia city flourished during the early Byzantine period and survived during the Dark Ages (7th and 8th centuries). New historical factors changed the place and give the city shape of fortress which restricts the ancient city to 190 decares. From the 9th / 10th century until the 13th century was residence of the officers and bishops an important agricultural center and harbor. It was destroyed in 1307 by the Catalans and later in the second half of the 14th century conquered by the Ottomans. Fortification reaches a length of 1800 m, has an irregular trapezoidal shape and remains closed inside St. Haralambos and Paliohora. North side of the wall is reinforced with an additional protective wall. Used in masonry opus mixtum (mixed system with zones of masonry and brick layers) and spolia (ancient building system with second-hand materials). The towers of the wall are best preserved the northwestern tower, which was rescued at a height of 10m. Byzantine basilica dates from the 5th / 6th century AD. This is a three-nave basilica with dimensions 35 X 23m, which is located in the center of the castle, only 150 meters east of the port. Inner courtyard located diagonally in the shape of irregular trapezoid. The three colonnades of the atrium narthex and the main temple are covered with mosaics decorated with geometric and floral patterns, and images of birds, vases, fruit and more. The mosaic is interesting that adorns the southwest part of the central dome, where was rescued inscription of the founder of church Barnabas. In place of the altar, several findings are found, an important example for micro-sculpture of the fifth and early sixth century AD. After the destruction of the basilica in the Dark Ages (7-8 century) the place is used as a graveyard. Cemetery from the initial Byzantine period was discovered at the place of the "windows" where vaulted tombs with funerary inscriptions are found. In the Early Byzantine ruins is developed a small village in Middle Byzantine period, using building materials from the ruins of the basilica and it existed from the 9th until the second half of the 13th century. In the stone masonry is used mainly mud as bonding material. Road lay out follows the plan of the basilica, and the houses are built directly on the mosaic floors. Inside the homes were found - outbreaks, shells, bones, pots and warehouses. Pilgrimage tradition has identified two locations, probably places proposed for basilica. In the northern part of the atrium is triangular secular building, possibly two storeys, with size 22.20 X 7.80 m. Perhaps it was the house of a prominent person. Area: 190.000 sq m (of the largest fortified places) Grid reference: 40°52'28.37"N, 25°30'40.10"E Contact information: Service structure: 15th Department Byzantine Antiquity (Komotini), +30 25310 29492, email: 15eba@culture.gr . Proposal for inclusion in thematic route: : Yes. It is Included thematically to the fortified urban centers from the Byzantine period. There is no infrastructure but may be included to the routes of Byzantine monuments, as well as to connect with the ancient city Maronia in the same area.

Related Publications

The old Maronia (associated)

Related Places

Марония (found at)

Related Collections

Historical heritage register (is part of)